Re: packages being essential but having stuff in /usr/?!

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 16:31 -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> What problem are you trying to solve?  Did you actually try to use an
> init script that use printf and doesn't depend on $remote_fs, on a
> system where /bin/sh is neither bash nor dash?
>
> Or is this just a big gedanken-experiment?
Admittedly the later ;) Personally I like dash so I stay with it :)

> It sounds a great deal like the latter, in which case I think you would
> waste a lot less time by simply joining forces with those people who
> are working toward being able to run other shells as /bin/sh.  Let
> _them_ know that if they don't provide builtin test and printf
> commands, there will be problems before /usr is mounted.
Weeeeell ;) ... I guess that's not the right way to go... no standard
specifies that such things have to be built-in... and it's quite
unpolite to request others to do it as we do now with bash/dash :)

> If they want
> to crusade about it, I think it would sound more credible than you
> doing so with no apparent concrete goals.
Didn't want to start a crusade ;) ... just making things more conforming
and trouble-secure.

Cheers,
Chris.