Re: packages being essential but having stuff in /usr/?!

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 02:18:53PM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 19:22 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

>>> I believe this is a misunderstanding.  The quoted section do not mean
>>> that all files in a essential package need to be on the root
>>> partition, but that the package should always be installed.

>> Well but what's the benefit then at all? If it's not guaranteed to be
>> there...?!

> AIUI, it's guaranteed to be there after system startup.

Right, the point is that other packages can assume those binaries are
available during any normal package operations and during package
installation and removal.

Early system startup (before $remote_fs) is a weird and special
environment, and most services should just depend on $remote_fs and not
worry about it.  Normally they have to anyway since the daemon being
started is in /usr.  Services that do not depend on $remote_fs are
services that have to be prepared to run in a limited and special
environment and will require special attention and thought.