Re: [RFC] removing xserver-xorg-video-nv from squeeze

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I assume you've filed a bug requesting support for custom modes, as
> requested by the X maintainers?

As Sven Joachim has pointed out, this would be an exercise in futility.
Upstream deliberately removed support for UMS a while ago.  From their point
of view, this is not a bug, this is a "feature".  And that's why I use the
nv driver.  Is KMS supposed to work with custom video modes?  Is the nouveau
driver supposed to work with custom video modes?  If so, then
perhaps it would be worthwhile to file a bug report.  Otherwise, it's a
waste of time.

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Not any more.

As of xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.1-4, which is current in Squeeze,
and for the i915G chipset, I can still pass

   modeset=0

to the i915 module and the X driver will still work.  Are you saying that
this is going to be taken away from me too?  Oh joy!

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Because UMS is a nasty hack that makes various features impossible, and
> it is too much work to maintain both models.

I'm beginning to see what I'm up against.
I'm not trying to stand in the way of progress.  I wish I could, however,
stand in the way of regress.  When you take away features that used to
work and now don't anymore, that's not progress.  Whether the actual
mode setting takes place in kernel space or in user space is not my
issue.  I see the advantages of doing it in kernel space.  The problem is
two-fold, as I see it.  (1) The kernel wants to set the mode once and
leave it there, including when switching to a "text" console.  It doesn't
switch the card into a true hardware text mode.  (2) It appears to me that
the kernel (or video driver) may only support video modes that can be set
by the video BIOS.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  (It wouldn't be the first
time!)  But no-one is listening.  And if I stand in the way of regress,
I'll get run over.  (Sigh.)

Of course, this is not a Debian-specific issue.  Debian is just reacting
to what is going on upstream.  Keeping the nv driver is just delaying the
inevitable, apparently.

So I suppose I'll just have to throw out my monitor and use another one,
even though there's nothing wrong with my existing monitor, because the
video BIOS didn't anticipate my monitor's needs.  "Progress".  (If you're
a hardware vendor.)

Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

If this is supposed to mean something, perhaps you'll be kind enough
to share it with me.  A search of Internet slang did not yield any
results that made sense to me in this context.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :