Re: "Waqf" General Public License in Debian?

Hey....

Well I guess that it's much easier to judge what's evil and what's not.

Typically all peoples that took part in the Enlightenment a scientific
development came to similar rules, which you can find things like:
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- European Convention on Human Rights
- as well as the human rights found in the constitutions of many western
countries (as well as some others).

It may sound arrogant, but what ever contradicts such rules or tries to
abolish them is evil.

But I guess this discussion leads to nothing.... so back to this special
case...

I'm not against religious software in Debian per se, but as with many
other things that we do not accept (see Debian Multimedia) or patented
stuff, it's always a big danger.

Why don't we then include legally questionable packages like aacskeys or
dumphd in Debian? Their license should be fine, and there are surely
some countries around the world in which they're legal.

It's always the question where to make the cut. Someone mentioned
pornography as an example. I guess we allow this because it's legal in
most countries. What would we do with a package "child-pornography" in
Debian if the license is GPL?

Many people feel discriminated even by seeing or living with religious
people (e.g. in Germany and Europe there is the long standing issue of
having the christian cross in schools). Would we e.g. accept it if all
the Desktop wallpaper packages contain the star of david?
Guess that the countries of some that argued here that Debian is for
all, would be the first that completely forbid Debian...

I think that computing itself an in the end also Debian originates from
and grounds on top of the ideas of what I noted above: Enlightenment,
natural sciences, et cetera.
And all this is not (or should not be) under law of any god, or the
pope, or Sharia or whatever.

If something obviously fights those idea, it looses (IMHO) the right to
take.
Which leads me to close the circle and come to and end:
If license is clearly against all in what we all (hopefully) believe,
even if it's just the preamble or an upstream who seems to have the
impression that we should bow to some other "rules"... then personally
I'd prefer to close the doors.

Ah and again, this is definitely not anti-Islamism... if I'd see similar
things from other religions or creationism or e.g. Nazis,... I'd say the
same.

Bye (at least for this discussion),
Chris.