Re: Advanced Startup/Shutdown with Multilayered Block Devices and Related Issues

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 12:38:04AM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Regarding the shutdown thingy... is there any chance that Debian would
> introduce kind of un-initramfs-images, in order to really unmount (not
> remount,ro) and then cleanly "close" all open block devices?
> Or do we have to look for different solutions here (if there are any).

You're looking for tmpfs and pivot_root.  The latter is a hack that's needed
only because of kernel threads, if you're the only process chroot() and
chdir() should be enough.

Too bad, if there's a process which is in uninterruptible sleep, things get
more tricky, and I guess that's the main reason why such a solution wasn't
implemented already.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be