Re: Bindv6only once again

Na grupie linux.debian.devel napisałe(a)ś:
>> I see only two ways of fixing proprietary Java (apart from fixing it
>> upstream or ignoring the problem):
>> * wrap java and java_vm binaries in some scripts setting LD_PRELOAD (in
>>   Debian package)
> This won't work in some cases. Some native programs instantiate a JVM
> from C/C++.

I thought in this case java_vm is executed.

>> * allow sun-java6-* packages to override bindv6only sysctl.

> Is it allowed by the Debian policy ?

In this case probably some mechanism to do it must be developed. I'm not
sure if it's worth it.

>> I hope Oracle will eventually fix the bug in Java allowing the change in
>> (some) stable Debian release
> There is no interest from Oracle on this issue:
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6342561

I know, since I've reported this bug they only action was lowering its
severity.

>> (or OpenJDK will replace Sun's Java completely).
> Last time I heard, Java 7 was expected for September 2010 but I am not
> counting on it.

It will happen eventually. If not before squeeze, then maybe before
squeeze+1.

Jarek.