Re: Recent changes in dpkg

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:34:32PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 22:59:25 +0200
> Iustin Pop <iusty@k1024.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:43:36PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > > On 05/24/2010 11:05 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> I think the announcement is wrong, we cannot ever expect every single
> package to be touched for any single change. We don't even do that when
> libc changes SONAME - that only affects compiled packages, this
> theoretically affects all source packages which means huge numbers of
> rebuilds and transitions.
>
> There is nothing wrong with a source package that glides through several
> stable releases without needing a rebuild, especially if it only
> builds an Arch:all binary package. As long as it is bug free, an ancient
> standards version alone is not sufficient reason to change anything in
> the package or make any upload just for the sake of making an upload.

So, we are talking about packages that have
a) no (fixed) bug reports
b) no new upstream version
in 4 years.
How many packages are we talking about here? Is there a way to get the
number of packages that have the same version in Lenny and Squeeze?

Anyway, I don't think asking for an upload once every 4 years is so much
of a burden.

	Thomas