Re: UPG and the default umask

On 20/05/2010 20:44, Bastien ROUCARIÈS wrote:

"Roger Leigh"<rleigh@codelibre.net>  a écrit :

The main justification I would have for this change is that keeping the
old 16-bit-constrained assignments fragments the 32-bit range space
unnecessarily.  For checks such as being discussed, having a contiguous
user range makes things much simpler for both us and admins.  I accept
that we can't change things for existing systems where these are already
being used, but it sucks to be stuck with a 16-bit legacy for evermore
even for new installs.

Does it will break reading file from uid16 filesystem?

This transition took place 10 years ago in the kernel and has been supported by all the mainstream filesystems since then; the minor ones may have also been fixed up. This was fixed years ago, the most recent being fixing diskquotas. Should be no problems in 2010!

Regards,
Roger