Re: chromium-browser from experimental has included h.264 by default?

Hi,

Il 10/05/2010 22:15, Iker Salmón San Millán ha scritto:
> Hi, i didn't know where or how to report this, but i have readed in a
> forum that an user has tried |chromium-browser from experimental and
> seems that it includes by default those privative codecs. I have tried
> by myself and i agree with him, but maybe i am wrong.

No, it doesn't contain those, see below

> Purging those packages and installin chronium-browser from experimental
> i can watch those videos without installing anything else.
>
> Is this correct? does chromium-browser package in debian have |h264
> codecs included? is this because it is in experimental and they will be
> separated later? or just a mistake? or maybe those codecs are included
> in other package installed that i haven't seen?

Chromium in Debian is built against the system FFmpeg headers via
pkg-config. This means when Chromium is launched it will assume that
FFmpeg is present in the system library path.
In this way you can decide which codecs chromium will use.

If you can watch youtube html5 video, probably you have installaed
libavcodec52, libavformat52 and libavutil50 from debian-multimedia[1] or
other third repositories.

BTW, here[2] you can find instructions how to report a bug in Debian

[1]http://debian-multimedia.org/
[2]http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Cheers,
Giuseppe.