Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 09:47:36AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le jeudi 06 mai 2010 à 21:11 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :
>> > These days, the init.d script dependencies in Squeeze are quite
>> > complete, so complete that it is actually possible to run all the
>> > init.d scripts in parallell based on these dependencies.  If you want
>> > to test your Squeeze system, make sure dependency based boot
>> > sequencing is enabled, and add this line to /etc/default/rcS:
>> >
>> >   CONCURRENCY=makefile
>>
>> Seems to work fine for me. However the gain isn’t really important,
>> given that the critical path includes fsck and networking.
>
> And kernel+initramfs. That's more than half the boot time (without
> even CONCURRENCY=makefile) here.

AFAIK the main idea right now is not to significantly speed up the
boot process but to move from obsolete lexicographic script ordering
and keep up with event-driven trends in the kernel. It's important to
test new infrastructure carefully and spread it across Debian users,
after that we can work on further improvements like decreasing the
boot time. I'm not a insserv developer though, please correct me if I
get it wrong.