Re: Proposed changes to the Debian Machine Usage Policy (DMUP)

On Tue, 04 May 2010, Stephen Gran wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Florian Weimer said:
> > * Martin Zobel-Helas:
> >
> > >                Using Debian machines for reading mail is OK, please
> > >                choose a lightly loaded machine [ie not master]. We do not
> >
> > master is not heavily loaded anymore, isn't it?  So this is probably
> > outdated.
>
> Correct, although I think the broader point that "resources are shared,
> so please don't use up disk space, cpu, ram, I/O, etc for things that
> could be done elsewhere" still stands.

Also, most of these paragraphs should probably be dropped from the DMUP
itself and moved to a guidelines/best practices document.

I think the plan is first to fix the largest issue, which is the whole
DSA <-> DAM area of responsibility thing.  Once that's done we should
take on the other issues which might well involve rewriting this thing
entirely.