Re: Confused by .la file removal vs static linking support

* Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@debian.org> [100502 11:27]:
> (3) looks like plain inconsistency: package will provide .a file, but not
> ensure things required for using .a file into system.

I think (3) is the best you can do if you assume the .a file is usefull
to anyone. If someone wants to link to the .a file, they will need to
give the other libraries anyway, so why not also install those
individually?

Also remember that "The Depends field should be used if the depended-on
package is required for the depending package to provide a significant
amount of functionality.".

Even without those other development packages, most of the functionality
is still there, so I think that is the perfect example for a "Suggests".

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link