Re: List of possible empty binary packages

Stefano Zacchiroli ha scritto:
> Is the code you used to detect this available somewhere? I wonder mainly
> how did you check if the packages are metapackages/transitional. If it
> is something you consider reliable, it would be worth to turn your code
> into a lintian check, so that we avoid in the future re-introducing this
> kind of bugs.

Well, "code" is located on lintian.debian.org/~dktrkranz/empty.sh, it's
a very simple shell script which declares a package being empty if all
of the following conditions are met:

* package does not ship files outside of /usr/share/doc/$pkg
* package does not have subdirectories in its /usr/share/doc dir
* package does not have a "blacklist" word in its description:
  - meta
  - transition
  - dummy
  - dependency package
  - empty package
  - virtual package

After that, I manually sorted resulting packages to remove notable false
positives, so it's definitely not reliable enough to provide full
automated reports yet, but I can work to define improved conditions.

--

  .''`.
 : :' :   Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>