Question: How is debian-policy during freeze?

Dear developers,

how are you dealing with packages during freeze?

Are package versions, which are now in testing frozen even when they are not
working? Or do you exchange not working versions from testing against working
versikns from unstable shortly before the release?

I just ask, because in the last days I discovered some packages, which are not
working in testing, but working in unstable.

One example is "bootcd" which in testing is (grave) version 3.22 and in
unstable (already fixed!) version 3.23. But version 3.23 is not being
transferred to testing since months.

Doesn't that not brake releases?

Best regards

Hans-J. Ullrich