Re: xsnow

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 11:11:09PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> As every year x-mas is coming closer and it is time to start xsnow to
> get the right feeling. :-)
>
> Unfortunately the package is only available for i386 and the maintainer,
> Martin Lazar, seems not to react to the bug (#457742), that is open
> since 2007. At least for amd64 it is pretty easy to build the package,
> there is no need to alter. Just apt-get build-dep xsnow; debuild; dpkg
> -i ../xsnow*.deb.

A maintainer is not supposed to have access to all architectures and build
stuff there by hand.  That's the problem with non-free.

I wonder if the procedure in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/11/msg00012.html
still stands.

> There are also other bugs, partly with a patch but no reaction of
> Martin.

These bugs are unfixable.  The license disallows any modifications save for
the makefile.  And considering how badly xsnow runs for example on my system
this makes it pretty worthless.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be