Re: Notification escape sequences

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:14:37PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Thomas Thurman
> <thomas.thurman@collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> > I am proposing an escape sequence which, when transmitted over SSH or
> > telnet, requests the client to display a desktop notification.  I have
> > written up a description, with some example code, at
> >
> > http://people.collabora.co.uk/~tthurman/notify/
>
> > ECMA-48 declares that OSC codes are user-defined; 55 was chosen arbitrarily,
>
> Doesn't that mean it should be left available for the user?

I don't think so; what could the user possibly use it for?  ECMA-48
defines a general set of coded control functions for terminals to
implement--these are intended for terminal-specific extensions, and
this would count as such.  I'm not sure I agree with enabling such
functionality though--look how the existing facility to set the
terminal window title has been abused.  Notifications open up an even
messier can of worms.

§8.3.89 OSC - OPERATING SYSTEM COMMAND

Is the desired functionality an "operating system command"?
It's a "notification message", so no, though it could be interpreted
to allow this-and ECMA-48 is only guidelines for implementors; how to
use this is entirely implementation-defined.  Also note that it's
limited to a specific ASCII subset, so no UTF-8...

The encoding restrictions also apply to all other "string" commands.

APC might be more appropriate--it's a command sent to the device from
the application.

Or DCS (only process if SRTM is enabled with SM).  Would allow turning
the facility on and off, though a rogue application could just enable
it.  Still not sure this is necessarily applicable though--this is for
device control.  Again restricted to ASCII subset.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh