Re: Static linking: pkgconfig vs libtool

Dmitry Katsubo <dma_k@mail.ru> writes:

> Russ, thank you for comments. To answer your question I quote only one
> important section from the document I've referred:

> === quote ===
> 3.2.4 pkg-config File

> Many libraries deliver a .pc file for use by the pkg-config helper
> utility, which aids other libraries and applications to link against
> libraries.

> All GAC library packages should have a pkg-config .pc file located in
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig. The filename must be named: package-X.Y.pc including
> the versioning. The version must reflect the same X.Y version as the
> package name. There must also be a symlink without the version to the
> latest version, as follows: from package.pc to package-X.Y.pc
> === end of quote ===

> What I think is important, that X.Y somehow correlates with package
> version. OK, it could be "API version", but API might not change, while
> some important information changes (e.g. the list of static libraries).
> For example,
> a) libtiff-1.0 is linked against libjpeg-1.0
> b) libtiff-1.1 is linked against libjpeg-1.1 and also libm.

I agree that would be nice, but I'm afraid that's not what we have.

> If *.pc files are not following the version of the package, I wonder how
> versions should be assigned and incremented, and what are the criteria
> for that.

They're assigned by upstream.  Debian doesn't have any control over the
.pc file naming.  We could exert that control by changing things around,
but I don't think that would be a good idea.

> So I wonder, if there are any polices, that regulate above mentioned,
> similar to .NET/CLI policies I've quoted.

Nope.