Re: Full install/removal/upgrade test results available

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 04:37:38PM -0500, James Vega wrote:
> >> I'm quoting the relevant part of dict-wn postinst resp. postrm:
> >
> >>     remove|purge)
> >>         if [ -x /usr/sbin/dictdconfig ]; then dictdconfig -w ;fi
> >>
> >>         # if [ -x /etc/init.d/dictd ]; then /etc/init.d/dictd restart; fi
> >>         if which invoke-rc.d >/dev/null 2>&1; then
> >>             invoke-rc.d dictd restart
> >>         else
> >>             /etc/init.d/dictd restart
> >>         fi
> >>         exit 0
> >
> > It's restarting (instead of stoppping) on remove/purge.
>
> Right, because dict-wn is just a database.  It detects if a dict-server
> is installed and restarts it so it is aware of the change in available
> databases, but the restart was blocked (according to the log) due to the
> invoke-rc.d policy.

This exactly was intended.

> This sounds like something (without having looked at the details) that
> would be prime for triggers instead of having the various
> database-providing package worry about what the server needs to do.

If I understand this correctly this has to be fixed in the dict package
first and then all dict-database providing packages need to be adapted,
right.  I wonder whether this is a thing we should do for Squeeze.  IMHO
the upgrade works fine and thus is not RC critical.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de