two new annoying svn-buildpackage behaviours

Hi,

I was working on gmp and insighttoolkit packages today and ran into
two new behaviours of svn-buildpackage that are very annoying.  I
checked the obvious candidates that I could think of
(svn-buildpackage, pbuilder, dpkg, devscripts) but didn't see any
recent changelog messages that appear alarming.

I'm hoping someone else might have already run into this and
could point me in the right direction.

I follow the "merge with upstream" methodology and put only the debian
subdir in source control.  All of this is on an up-to-date amd64 "sid"
machine.

1. Initially the trunk directory has only a "debian" subdir.  Running
"svn-buildpackage" in the trunk directory now leaves behind the
skeleton of the upstream source tree; e.g. alongside the debian
directory there is now a directory called "gmp-5.0.1+dfsg" that
contains only the directories -- all the files have been removed.
It is annoying, however, because I have to remove it before I
can run "svn-buildpackage" again:

steve@riemann{5.0.0-experimental}ls
debian  gmp-5.0.1+dfsg
steve@riemann{5.0.0-experimental}svn-buildpackage
Complete layout information:
        buildArea=/home/steve/Packages/debian-science/packages-svn/gmp/branches/build-area
        origDir=/home/steve/Packages/debian-science/packages-svn/gmp/branches/tarballs
        trunkDir=/home/steve/Packages/debian-science/packages-svn/gmp/branches/5.0.0-experimental
        trunkUrl=svn+ssh://smr@svn.debian.org/svn/debian-science/packages/gmp/branches/5.0.0-experimental
dpkg-checkbuilddeps
E: Found unresolved issues:

?       gmp-5.0.1+dfsg

E: Resolve them manually before continuing

2. When using pdebuild (--svn-builder="pdebuild ..."), the resulting diff file is broken.

steve@riemann{bogus}dpkg-source -x gmp_5.0.1+dfsg-3.dsc
dpkg-source: info: extracting gmp in gmp-5.0.1+dfsg
dpkg-source: info: unpacking gmp_5.0.1+dfsg.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: applying gmp_5.0.1+dfsg-3.diff.gz
patching file debian/FAQ
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file debian/FAQ.rej
patching file debian/watch
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
... etc ...

Now, since I'm only adding files to debian/, all the diffs should have
only insertions ("+" lines).  Looking at the diff, I see that each
file diff starts with a deletion:

  -tail: cannot open `.pc/applied-patches' for reading: No such file or directory

This problem occurs only when I try to use pbuilder.  The complete
command line (that I've used for years) is "svn-pdebuild-final", which
is an alias for

  steve@riemann{5.0.0-experimental}type svn-pdebuild-final
  svn-pdebuild-final is aliased to `svn-pdebuild --auto-debsign --svn-tag --svn-noautodch'
  steve@riemann{5.0.0-experimental}type svn-pdebuild
  svn-pdebuild is aliased to `svn-buildpackage --svn-dont-purge --svn-lintian --svn-builder="pdebuild --buildresult `pwd`/../build-area"'

The problem does not occur when I build without pbuilder using

  svn-buildpackage --svn-lintian --svn-tag --svn-noautodch

As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve