Re: Debian Installer 6.0 Beta1 release

On Monday 01 November 2010 22:51:36 Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Goirand (zigo@debian.org):
> > On 10/31/2010 03:00 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > > The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first beta
> > > release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.
> >
> > Great, thanks for the huge work.
> >
> > I was wondering if there will be WPA support in D-I for squeeze, as this
>
> No. Nobody did the needed tests on the patch proposed in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=22;bug=327309

For this approach to be achieved cleanly, upstream wpa_supplicant authour
would need to provide wpa_ctrl interface as a shared library so that we are
not using a copy of that stuff. In it's current state, if I were a
debian-installer maintainer, I wouldn't be thrilled to accept a clone of
file(s) which already exists (in some version or another) in some other
source package in the archive.

I've asked wpa_supplicant upstream about it just now, will see what he reckons.

I am interested in helping debian's installer gain support for better wireless
networking, however there is much to learn about debian-installer itself to get
started and I currently struggle to allocate time to existing Debian
commitments. I tried to help answer Glenn Saberton's questions at the time he
was busy on this stuff, but failed to help with anything more substantial :(

Other components of Debian's wireless networking stack are missing too: crda
and wireless-regdb. These may need to be integrated into debian-installer in
the future too. So it seems that Debian's wireless networking stack is
not keeping up close with upstream changes, and I am the first point of
failure in this regard. pkg-wpa team understaffed, help needed etc etc.

Thanks, Kel.