Re: Squeeze can't fit on 512MiB

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:20:56 +0200
Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> Indeed, installling Squeeze (without any task) via the network needs
> 460MiB free on /, so you don't really have room for swap.  Once the
> .debs cleaned, you're still with 340MiB, while Lenny needed only 268MiB
> for the same base system. You can't install Debian on a.g. a 512MiB
> sheeva-plug unless disabling swap.

Try Emdebian Grip and consider using multistrap to install so that the
packages can be cleaned out before creating a tarball which is then
unpacked onto the final system. Emdebian Grip packages are smaller than
Debian ones but still binary compatible.

Wherever storage space is the principle limitation, please look at
using Embedded Debian rather than full sized Debian.

> Another interesting view of all this increase is through the filesystem:
>                           Lenny  Squeeze Squeeze-Lenny
> /lib/modules              57640  75428   17788
> /usr/share                81584  98344   16760         (notably +6M locales, +2M doc,

If you want to trim that down, you should *definitely* use Emdebian
where the packages themselves have this content already trimmed out.

> The apt cache increase (~20MiB) is merely due to more packages available
> (28000)

Emdebian Grip also reduces the apt cache size because we simply have
fewer packages - concentrating on the base system and things you're
likely to want on devices like this.

Neil Williams