How does dbconfig-common detect if mysql is running?

Hi,

I am running a Bitnami Amazon Web Services Ubuntu Lucid instance, that has mysql

pre-configure and running from /opt/bitnami/mysql . I intend to run stock Debian

LAMP packages (example: phpmyadmin). Whilst running "dpkg-reconfigure
phymyadmin", dbconfig-common keep coming up with this error:

 ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
 │ '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

This is after I have edited /opt/bitnami/mysql/my.cnf to make all references
of /opt/bitnami/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock to /tmp/mysql.sock

I am quite surprised that initially dbconfig-common pick
up /opt/bitnami/mysql/my.cnf instead of /etc/mysql/my.cnf .

Any advise how I can get dbconfig-common to look up /etc/mysql/my.cnf , or the
stock Debian mysql-server installation?

Kind regards,
Hanxue