Re: Buildd & binary-indep

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
>
>> Do we need this in debian/control?
>
>> Why not debian/source/options or debian/source/hardening if it is a more
>> special feature that requires extra args?
>
> debian/source so far only contains options that control the generation of
> the source package or, in the case of the Lintian overrides file, only
> apply to the source package and are unrelated to the build.
> debian/control, meanwhile, currently contains all the build metadata.
> That seems like a useful separation to me that I'd like to maintain.

On the other hand it is something that is only needed during build. At
which point the debian/source/options file is available. If the entry is
in debian/control it would probably end up in Sources.gz and I don't see
why Sources.gz would need to list the specific hardening options for a
source.

Note that I meant this for features that require extended options and
not just an on/off flag. The debian control file could still contain
hardening as build option and the detailed flags for that option would
then be in the source.

Also I see no real difference between options used to build the source
from options used to build the binaries. The use could easily be
extended to options affecting building either one.

MfG
        Goswin