Bug#598477: ITP: opencl-headers -- OpenCL (Open Computing Language) header files
Owner: Andreas Beckmann <email@example.com>
* Package name : opencl-headers
Version : 1.0
Upstream Author : The Khronos Group Inc.
* URL : http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/
* License : other
Programming Lang: Header files for C, C++
Description : OpenCL (Open Computing Language) header files
OpenCL (Open Computing Language) is a multi-vendor open standard for
general-purpose parallel programming of heterogeneous systems that include
CPUs, GPUs and other processors.
This package provides the development header files for the OpenCL API 1.0
as published by The Khronos Group Inc. The corresponding specification and
documentation can be found on the Khronos website.
* Copyright (c) 2008-2010 The Khronos Group Inc.
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
* copy of this software and/or associated documentation files (the
* "Materials"), to deal in the Materials without restriction, including
* without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
* distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Materials, and to
* permit persons to whom the Materials are furnished to do so, subject to
* the following conditions:
* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
* in all copies or substantial portions of the Materials.
* THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
* EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
* MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
* IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
* CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
* TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
* MATERIALS OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE MATERIALS.
I plan to put this header package into main (because the headers are
free) and not contrib (even if currently only non-free vendor
implementations of OpenCL are available). The hope is there will be a
free version of the "wrapper library" libOpenCL.so.1 some day. The same
happened recently for libvdpau1.
A subset of these headers is currently distributed with
nvidia-libopencl1-dev in non-free but NVIDIA will stop shipping them in
the next driver release (because they are also shipped in the NVIDIA
CUDA Toolkit - which I ITPed as nvidia-cuda-toolkit, #581184 and is
currently waiting in NEW). So I think moving to a free source for the
headers now is a good idea :-) There is currently one package
(python-pyopencl/contrib) that can use OpenCL without requiring
nvidia-cuda-toolkit (just needs the headers and some libOpenCL.so.1).
I'll start providing the headers for API 1.0 and switch to 1.1 once
nvidia-graphics-drivers (>= 260) (which implements 1.1) is in
unstable/non-free (or experimental/non-free).