Re: packaging Rivet

Hi Stefan

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 22:16:57 +0200, Stefan Fritsch wrote
> Hi Massimo,
>
> On Friday 17 September 2010, Massimo Manghi wrote:
> > My questions are:
> >
> > 1) is this list the right audience to seek help for refining and
> > amending the scripts needed by deb-buildpackage for an apache
> > related project?
>
> I think it would be best if you tried to ask general packaging
> related questions on debian-mentors@lists.debian.org, which is the
> usual forum for such questions. The Debian developer's reference
> manual may answer some of your questions, too.  But questions that
> are specific to packaging of Apache modules are definitely on-topic here.

thank you for the answer. I think the package I built is already 80% baked. I
based my work on the scripts David Welton made when he packaged Rivet 0.5 for
Debian Apache 1.3, before he quit his committment with Debian. So my doubts
are about how to fulfill the requirements of a Debian Apache Policy, how
configuration files are automatically linked from etc/apache2/mod-enabled to
mod-available and how to reload the configuration into the server. I expected
to find postinst or postrm scripts for this purpose in other debian apache
packages but I didn't find any. Perhaps I didn't search hard enough, but I
thought that it was a chance to have general directions.

> > 2) what is the proper procedure to look for a sponsor of the
> > package? I'm ready to provide for support for Rivet in the future,
> > but I'd like to cooperate with official maintainers in the goal to
> > have Rivet back into Debian.
>
> Do you mean that you want to (and have time to) maintain the package
> yourself, i.e. deal with Debian bug reports and prepare updated
> packages? In this case, the usual procedure is to upload the package
> to mentors.debian.net and ask on debian-mentors@lists.debian.org for
> a sponsor. But since finding a sponsor is sometimes difficult, it is
> a good idea to ask here on the debian-apache list as well.

Yes, I can deal with bug reports and prepare future up-to-date packages. One
of the goals we have is getting more feedback from a wider set of web
developers. I just don't want (at least now) to go through the procedure of
becoming a Debian maintainer myself, as I don't see the point to do it for
keeping only one package.

So I formally ask for a sponsor here, while I look for directions on how to
upload to mentors.debian.net.

> On the other hand, if you only want to be the upstream maintainer
> and are looking for someone else to maintain the Debian package, you
> should file a "request for package" bug on the wnpp pseudo-package.
> Google or "reportbug wnpp" is your friend here.

I will anyway, but I think the first is my option

-- Massimo