Re: dash Debian package - RC bugs

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 04:34:25PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Gerrit Pape writes ("Re: dash Debian package - RC bugs"):
> > I can't help, I don't understand.  I yesterday followed up to a mail
> > that was additionally addressed to the <debian-ctte@lists.debian.org>
> > mailing list and got an automatic reply telling me that the mail cannot
> > be delivered because I'm not subscribed.  Not a bounce, but an automatic
> > reply to the address in the From: header, not the envelope sender
> > address.  How do you call this?
>
> I would call it a "bounce".

I don't.  Last time I checked, non-delivery reports aka delivery
notifications aka bounces aka auto replies should work on the envelope
only, i.e. send the notification aka bounce to the envelope sender
address, ideally with an empty return path.  I think it has something to
do with loops, automatic mailers, and not parsing the headers as that is
a lot more prone to errors.  But this is long ago, think might have
changed since.

Regards, Gerrit.