License of a patch

After my presentation at DebConf this year I was pointed to your efforts
on the Patch Tagging Guidelines.

One thing I believe would be useful is if the patch included a
license. The simplest license would be "Same as patched code" but it
will clarify it.

Similarly, but perhaps more complex, it could point towards a Copyright
Assignment of the patch to the upstream.

And explain why do you think this is necessary. Any modification to
existing files is implicitly under the same license. Any new file can
embed the license information with the usual copyright notice.

--daniel

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/