Re: For those who care about their packages in Debian

Mike Hommey writes ("Re: For those who care about their packages in Debian"):
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 01:42:34PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Even better would be an option to write something in your .dsc which
> > would cause automatic transfer of your package into unstable when
> > testing is unfrozen.  Distro target of "experimental-unstable"
> > perhaps.  That way we could automate the "flood of new packages and
> > distro is totally broken" effect :-).
>
> That would obviously require some automated way to propate from
> experimental to unstable, much like unstable->testing transition
> happens, when all deps are available in unstable, etc.

That would be fine.  Perhaps a different copy of the same code,
with all the aging parameters set low, and which only runs on packages
whose .changes said they wanted to be propagated.  But TBH since
everything gets dumped willy-nilly into unstable at unfreeze time
anyway, I doubt it will make much difference.

> IMHO, this would be better to be triggered on maintainer request
> and semi-manually, instead of a distro target.

My point is that it would be nice to be able to arrange _now_ that
this will happen _later_ so that you only have to interact once.  Not
having to constantly poke things and prod them along makes things run
a lot smoother.

Marc Haber writes ("Re: For those who care about their packages in Debian"):
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:42:34 +0100, Ian Jackson
> <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> >moving packages from experimental to unstable later [would be] easy
>
> Is it possible without rebuilding?

I don't see any reason it would be impossible in principle.  The same
is done from unstable to testing, when testing is unfrozen.

Ian.