Re: GUI packaging

On 22:39 Thu 29 Jul     , Markus Schulz wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> as far as I know nobody is working on a GUI for packaging (like a IDE
> but for packaging). If someone is please let me know, because I want to
> develop something in this area for Debian and than I would like to help.
> If not I may start something as long as there are no objections. The
> main idea is to put the Debian policy into a interactive wizard that
> helps building basic packages with normal Debian quality. No command and
> only valid selection etc... like lintian at configuration time and not
> just after- a guide that walks you through only lets you enter valid things.

We will not do any objection as everybody is free to develop what he want.

A small suggestion if you start doing this... Please try to have 2 or 3 layers
so you could have the basics calls and then be able to develop a GUI with Qt,
GTK, ... frontends.

I don't know how deep you want to go.. like having devscripts tool calls,
pbuilder integration or such, but before starting this you should carefuly think
of what you want, the data structures and the language you will use..

I think this kind of tool will be huge amont of work. I wish you good luck and
happy hacking doing this.

Greetings,
--
Xavier Oswald <xoswald@debian.org>