Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 14:41:49 Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The number of submissions to the Debian popularity-contest collector
> is falling, and has done so for some time now.  This can be easily
> seen on <URL: http://popcon.debian.org/stat/sub-i386.png >.
>
> This is mostly caused by a fall in the number of Lenny installations,
> as can be seen from
>
> Anyone got any idea how to can get more machines to report to
> popcon.debian.org?  Or can there be some other problem causing the
> fall in the number of submissions?
.

I suspect it has more to do with the general acceptance of *nix
based systems. In the past, *nix users were often want to proclaim
the use of *nix widely and loudly as a way of promoting *nix to the
general public (admit it, we all did it at some time :-). Popcon was
just one more (perceived) way of helping with the promotion. But
now, *nix is well known to the general public, they may not use it,
but they know it exists, and so the need to promote is reduced.

I know for myself I dont bother to install popcon because I really
dont care about popularity any more. I am happy that there is
already a massive *nix base in the community. When I choose to
install *nix, its because of its functionality - all the
tools/applications I need are either already installed, or easy to
install.

Winning a popularity contest just isn't one of my motivations.

Cheers, Tim.

PS - If you want to record how many people are using different
things, then perhaps if the update servers record IP addresses and
requested updates then this could give you more data as it does not
require a system has specifically installed a popcon type
application for this method to work.

--
I got the bends modelling, must have been all them lines, and points.