Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:42:51 -0400 (EDT), Steffen Möller wrote:

> The computing world have become such complex, that we are all mere users
> somewhere. So yes, we should think more about our users.

I suspect that the primary reasons desktop users choose another distribution
over Debian is threefold:

  o Ease of installation
  o Ease of configuration
  o Automatic inclusion of popular non-free software, such as
    proprietary hardware drivers, Adobe flash, Sun Java, etc.

The Debian installer has made great strides over the years, and Debian
is now fairly easy to install.  But the other two points are where
the other distros have the advantage.  For the third point, I don't
see how we can compete without a fundamental redefinition of who we are
and what our principles are.  Debian isn't for everyone.  If our
primary goal is to get as big as possible, we may as well joint M$.

> * Metaphorical speaking: we should give Debian a phone number. And I
> mean full-time or at least half-time employees. With so many people
> unemployed these days, I even feel we have the duty to think about
> creating jobs.

That's an interesting idea.  But where is the money going to come from?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :