Re: [RFC] removing xserver-xorg-video-nv from squeeze

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 08:05:25PM +0000, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-07-12 21:09 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:
>
> > If nouveau set KMS by default, as the intel driver does, but did not
> > *require* KMS, I would agree.  But the last time I checked, using the nouveau
> > driver *forces* KMS.  I don't like that.  I still use, and prefer, hardware
> > text mode virtual consoles (1-6).
>
> May I ask why?  If the reason is that the default font is too small, you
> can easily choose a bigger one, e.g. by "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup".
> And speed shouldn't really be an issue either, unlike with vesafb.

With an intel 965GM, scrolling is definitely much slower with the framebuffer console
compared to the VGA console, and switching from X to the console to X is not really faster.
Speed is one of the reason I do not use X.

If the kernel can really perform modesetting, then it should be able to switch back to
VGA, but alas this does not seem possible. This is a regression.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.