Re: ITP: php-recaptcha -- PHP interface to recaptcha.net

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> As I see it, php-recaptcha should be sent to non-free (which means
> anything depending on it would go in contrib). I'd be happy to see
> others expressing themselves here, in order to make sure I don't
> hold an extreme view on this.

If php-recaptcha would have a Depends: (or Recommends:[1])
relationship on the daemon which provides this service if the daemon
was packaged in Debian, then it belongs in contrib. If it wouldn't,
then it can go into main. [All of this assuming that php-recaptcha
itself is DFSG free.] non-free is for packages which Debian can
distribute but do not meet the DFSG in themselves; packages which meet
the DFSG do not belong there.

All of the above has nothing to do with whether it is technically or
socially responsible to package a package (or encourage its use) which
has such has a heavy reliance on a network service for which Debian
does not distribute (or worse, have any code for), however. The DFSG
and our Social Contract are not Debian Policy, nor are they a
replacement for good technical judgement.

Don Armstrong

1: This is slightly more controversial, but I think that it is the
majority view given that Recommends: are usually installed by default.
--
Religion is religion, however you wrap it, and like Quell says, a
preoccupation with the next world clearly signals an inability to cope