Re: Bindv6only once again

Am 15.06.2010 23:18, schrieb George Danchev:
Jarek Kamiński writes:
Na grupie linux.debian.devel napisałe(a)ś:
I see only two ways of fixing proprietary Java (apart from fixing it
upstream or ignoring the problem):
* wrap java and java_vm binaries in some scripts setting LD_PRELOAD (in

   Debian package)

or
* allow sun-java6-* packages to override bindv6only sysctl.

* allow bindv6only to be overridden by process instead of system-wide.

You mean modifying kernel?

Of course not, the kernel already provides everything needed for years, and
these dummy apps can still request bindv6only to 0 on the sockets they listen
on their own, which is also discussed at debian-ctte[1]:

int b = 0;
if (setsockopt(s, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_V6ONLY, (char *)&b, sizeof(b))==-1)
     perror("failed blah");

they would be still inferior to those opening two separate sockets (which
means more fine-grained control like listening on v4 or v6 or both, or
establish means to threat them specifically if necessary), but this is at least
easily doable for brain-damaged apps badly in need for 0.

You have forget, that most apps, which does not work with = 1, are non-free and mostly completly closed-source. Yeah we could follow this way and say "f*** on non-free SW", but many companies, which are using Debian, are also hosting non-free software on it (we also do it); and it just breaks with this value.

What would our CEO say? "It is not working with Debian, but with every other distro? Then install distro XYZ!"

I don't think, that this is a good idea :<

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
        patrick@linux-dev.org

Comment:
Always if we think we are right,