Re: Bindv6only once again

Na grupie linux.debian.devel napisałe(a)ś:
> I believe that now we fixed ~everything which can be fixed, so this
> leaves us with the proprietary Java implementation which apparently Sun
> is unwilling to fix.
> Unless the maintainer believes that we can get a fixed version before
> the release then I propose to stop setting bindv6only=3D1 by default.
> While it was a useful experiment, since it allowed to expose and fix a
> fair number of bugs, it should not compromise the general usability of
> Debian systems.

I see only two ways of fixing proprietary Java (apart from fixing it
upstream or ignoring the problem):
* wrap java and java_vm binaries in some scripts setting LD_PRELOAD (in
  Debian package)
or
* allow sun-java6-* packages to override bindv6only sysctl.

I can't say I like any of these approaches (although I currently do the
first on my systems).

I hope Oracle will eventually fix the bug in Java allowing the change in
(some) stable Debian release (or OpenJDK will replace Sun's Java
completely).

Jarek.