Re: Indicator applets and related packages

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> I'd like too, thus I packaged libindicator (sid) and
> xfce4-indicator-plugin (NEW) :)

I saw libindicator and wondered why indicator-applet was not in the same
batch and investigated and found your RFP and this led me to this mail.
:)

> > The missing source packages are AFAIK:
> > - libdbusmenu https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdbusmenu
> >   (no RFP/ITP known)
> > - libindicate https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libindicate
> >   RFP: http://bugs.debian.org/560122
>
> Interested in those, planing to package, will contact ITP-author.

They are build-dependencies of several other source packages, so when do
you expect to have a first version ready to test ? :-)

> > - indicator-applet https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-applet
> >   RFP: http://bugs.debian.org/534556
>
> No GNOME here, no way to test, sorry.

Is that really the only component depending on Gnome?

> > I hope we can find maintainers for all those. Should they be maintained
> > within the Debian Gnome team ?
>
> libindicator is currently collab-maint with kartik@d.o (CCed) and me, if
> others want to join, we could start a "pkg-indicators" or something :)

Or it could be "pkg-ayatana" that takes care of packaging the software
that Ubuntu's Ayatana team releases:
https://launchpad.net/ayatana

I think this could be a good idea indeed. A team that would be very open
to the upstream Ubuntu/Canonical maintainers.

I saw that you used Git for the packaging, while I also use git for all
my own projects, I wonder if it would not make sense to use bzr for those
Canonical projects since they are all maintained in bzr, and it would make
it more likely to have upstream directly involved in the team.

What do you think?

Maybe James Westby could write an HOWTO for DD that are used to git on how
to best maintain Ubuntu's software within Debian with bzr-builddeb.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/