Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

[Stefano Zacchiroli]
> If you are ready to monitor the issue closely, I don't see any
> problem in switching the default now in unstable, see how it goes,
> and then decide later on if revert back to the current default in
> Squeeze time.

The switch to parallel booting was done 2010-05-14 in unstable, and
entered testing 2010-05-26.  As far as I can see, it is holding up
fairly well.

These are the issues I am aware of that was exposed by the parallel
booting: A race condition between nvidia drivers and kdm was made to
trigger more often (#582550, #583312), wicd seem unable to do NFS
mounts and set up the network correctly (#508289, #581586), and
parallel booting fail completely with OpenVZ (#583562 fixed/worked
around by todays sysvinit upload).  I expect all of these to find some
solution before Squeeze is released, but can not guarantee it, of
course.

There is also an issue with bootchart reporting a slower boot for some
machines(#581907) , but I am starting to believe this is an artifact
of how bootchart measure the boot time (as in stopping the clock too
early in the non-parallel measurement), and not really a regression in
real boot speed.

What are the opinions on this?  Should we continue with parallel
booting, or go back to sequential boot for Squeeze?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen