Re: status of circulars dependencies in unstable

[Robert Lemmen]
> so if anyone can think of good use cases for a tool that allows
> analytics on the dependencies between entities in the debian space
> (packages, bugs etc), then please send them my way. with a moderatly
> long list of use cases, i could go on defining the query language...

One thing I would find useful to have more focus on, is how many
duplicate libraries are installed as dependencies in the Gnome and KDE
desktops.  For Debian Edu, I notice for example four versions of libdb
is needed (libdb4.5, libdb4.6, libdb4.7 and libdb4.8) and two versions
of libjpeg (libjpeg62 and libjpeg8).  This is a problem for Debian Edu
because we try to squeeze as many useful packages as possible on a
DVD, and duplicates like that waste space. :)

So, if you could start with the desktop tasks from tasksel and find
all such duplicates, it might be useful to get migrations to newer
library versions in place to save space on the DVDs.

Happy Hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen