Re: Improving in-place upgrades of Ada packages from Lenny to Squeeze

(better late than never)

2010/6/3 Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>:
> Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
>> David Kalnischkies wrote:
>>> With the break you can force the update of old-libs, which
>>> could depend in their new version on the new-libs.
>
> OK, I just tried that (in a local repository).  Having gnat break all
> the -dev packages in Lenny does not help; the broken packages are marked
> as such in aptitude but not removed by default.  Worse, gnat is now
> marked as broken too (without the Breaks: it is not).  Even if I press
> '+' on gnat, this still does not cause any broken packages to be
> removed; I must mark them all for removal manually with '-'.  So we're
> back to square one.

Mhhh. What does broken mean here? As far as i know aptitude it
should come up with a solution in the end in which all packages
are in a consistent state (=not half-installed / unconfigured).
So it should remove "broken" packages as broken is not a valid
state a package can be after a complete $packagemanager run…

Just for reference, what does "apt-get dist-upgrade -s" proposes?
( -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1 will tell you also why in a more
or less cryptical way).

It should really work to break old-lib ( << squeeze version) in gnat,
to force an upgrade of old-lib to (at least) the "squeeze version",
which could depend on your new-lib to get it installed…

>>> 2. the old-libs will stay installed in at least of the form of a
>>> transitional package in oldlibs as at least apt/lenny has no support
>>> for disappear packages so this trick can't be used (not sure about
>>> dpkg, aptitude uses apt facility in this regard, so also no support).
>>
>> This is ugly, but not horrible.
>
> Does apt/squeeze have support for disappearing packages?

Yeap, or at least >= 0.7.26~exp5 has and apt is registered for
an abi transition/binnmu series so it will hopefully find its way into
unstable/testing some day in the future… (currently blocked)

Best regards,

David Kalnischkies