Re: Permission to NMU gcc-mingw32

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 11:53:08AM +0000, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> The lack of a suitable (i.e. non-buggy) mingw32 cross-compiler has blocked
> Wine updates for half a year now. Both the mingw32 package (gcc 4.2.1) and
> the gcc-mingw32 package (gcc 4.4.2) have a bug which was fixed in upstream
> gcc 4.4.3. At least one of these should be updated, if we want a fully
> featured Wine, but neither of them seems to be updating. The maintainer of
> gcc-mingw32, Robert Millan, appears MIA, and mingw32 appears to be blocked on
> some politics issue (apparently not helped by the existence of gcc-mingw32?).

Well, mingw32 has not been updated since 2007 and is barely usable now.
The license issues looks more like a pretext to stall it than anything else
since it is still possible to use gcc 4.3 anyway.

> Anyway, for me, the easiest way to be able to build an updated Wine package
> would be to NMU gcc-mingw32. Doing so seems to be just a matter of putting in
> a new gcc tarball in the source package, and I've confirmed that updating it
> to gcc 4.4.4 seems to work for what Wine needs.
>
> Is it okay if I go ahead and do such a NMU?

Please do it ASAP. Robert will probably welcome the NMU.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.