Re: Recent changes in dpkg

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

>  * The dpkg-maintscript-helper tool has been introduced in dpkg 1.15.7.2
>    to help packagers deal with renaming conffiles and removing obsolete
>    conffiles.

This is a great addition; however, if the user has changed the
conffile *and* the maintainer also changes it in the same version
where it is moved, the user's file is left silently in place and the
maintainer's installed as .dpkg-new. This seems surprising to me, as
it means the behavior is different when the conffile moves than when
it doesn't (if it hadn't moved, a question would be triggered). I had
this issue with the recipes in
http://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling to start with, so it's not
a knock on dpkg-maintscript-helper itself.

I have an approach that does a three-way compare between old
maintainer, new maintainer, and user versions and tries to be smart
about it. If this behaviour is desirable I'll see if I can't make a
patch for dpkg-maintscript-helper. (The cost is a hacky sed line in
rules which rewrites prerm with the md5 of the new maintainer
version.)