Re: The story behind UPG and umask.

On Sun, 30 May 2010 15:02:41 +0100, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
wrote:
>This one time, at band camp, Marc Haber said:
>> I am not a very good friend of just counting. I would try to somehow
>> hash the user name into the UID since this will - at least on systems
>> with only a handful of users - enhance the chance that the same user
>> name will get the same UID on different systems.
>
>There are already well understood mechanisms for ensuring that uids are
>the same across multiple systems.  I don't think adduser is the place
>for that.

If you think Directory Services, I doubt that my customers would allow
me to put all systems that I operate in their environment (seldomly
more than a handful per customer) on a single directory service. But I
really like the idea of having all "Debian-exim" accounts with the
same UID on all systems as this incredibly eases moving things (such
as configuration templates) from one box to the other.

This might be old-fashioned and paranoid, but it really eases life.

Greetings
Marc