Re: Let's write a system admin friendly mail server packaging system

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:
> Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:
>> Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:
>>> Quite not. You also need to configure the incoming and outgoing ports of
>>> amavis the correct way.
>> Which of course will also be done by the amavis package itself. Still,
>> no dependency on third packages so far.
> I think you quite don't get it. Here's 3 configuration:
> - postfix with dkimproxy

dkimproxy listens on localhost:10121, and ships a postfix-conf.d-snippet
which instructs postfix to send mail to localhost:10121 and receive it
back on localhost:10122.

> - postfix with amavis

amavis listens on localhost:10211, and ships a postfix-conf.d-snippet
which instructs postfix to send mail to localhost:10211 and receive it
back on localhost:10212.

> - postfix with dkimproxy + amavis

Bot postfix-conf.d-snippets are concatenated, that's it.
postfix ships to localhost:10121 first, gets it back on 10122, ships it
to localhost:10211, gets it back on 10212, and delivers it.

Everything that package-maintainers had to do is to make sure their
port-pairs don't collide with other packages - and to agree on some
useful conf.d-snippet ordering, of course.

As I said, I don't know if this would be possible with current postfix
at all even if we'd implement conf.d-snippets on our own.
sendmail milters can be and are combined that way, one "just" have to
make sure to merge the milter-macro definitions correctly.

> Cleaner for using it, of course not for the packaging. There's no reason
> why you should load postfix more, and have the message go 3 times by it,
> if it can go there only twice.

That's exactly the small performance drop as price paid for a straight
and clean configuration.

regards
   Mario
--
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't...