Re: same UIDs across multiple systems

Am Sun, 30 May 2010 20:13:31 +0200
schrieb Luk Claes:

> I guess you should have a deeper look into the possibilities of nss so
> you don't need to sync /etc/passwd and similar files across systems,

Ah thanks, you were thinking NIS networked shared database.

I was thinking, say if I would give you an account on my box "Luk
Claes" would compute to say ID 14314, the same as on your system.
Independent from any type of networked setup.

Not a 100% sync, since any conflicts will need to be resolved, but quite
good for systems with sparse users. Also for reinstalling/replacing
systems, because it makes the IDs independent from the order in which
they were created.

Cheers,
Christian