same UIDs across multiple systems

Am Sun, 30 May 2010 15:02:41 +0100
schrieb Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>:

> There are already well understood mechanisms for ensuring that uids
> are the same across multiple systems.  I don't think adduser is the
> place for that.

Do you have a debian pointer maybe?

I am asking because the following suggests a central tool that handles
debians passwd data.

9.2.1: "Packages other than base-passwd must not
modify /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group  or /etc/gshadow."

I found useradd (not adduser) is part of passwd (not base-passwd),
would that be that central tool to take care of debian requirements?

Cheers,
Christian