Re: Recent changes in dpkg

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 02:17:27PM +0200, Thomas Weber wrote:
> So, we are talking about 1000 packages which are up-to-date in
> unstable currently. Bugs don't change that picture much. I consider this
> manageable during a full cycle.
>
> And frankly, arguing back and forth about this is an exercise in
> futility:
> Is the new format worse than the old one? No.
> Does it offer advantages over the old one? Yes, maybe not for all
> packages, but for some.
> So, let's make life easier for the dpkg developers and convert our
> packages.

There's no requirement to convert packages.  All that's being requested
is that the package be explicit about the source format.

There's no reason to perform an upload *just* to make that change.
There are currently 11.7k source packages which aren't explicitly
declaring their source format.  That's not going to change overnight and
the Dpkg developers have already stated that the deprecation of an
implied source format is a long term goal (likely Squeeze+2).

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>