Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Fri, 28 May 2010 16:44:11 -0400 (EDT), Peter Samuelson wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> It *does* recognize lilo and has special logic to patch lilo after
>> the restore so that the machine will boot.
>
> So can this software be fooled into thinking it is dealing with lilo?
> Would it be sufficient to rename /boot/extlinux/extlinux.sys to
> /boot/maps or something?

I wasn't going to post to this thread on debian-devel anymore, since
it is evident that they really don't want to hear about it.  But for
the sake of answering a specific question I will respond.

I'm afraid that won't work.  In the first place, renaming
/boot/extlinux/extlinux.sys to something else would interfere with
the correct operation of extlinux.  Second, this is the second stage
loader for extlinux.  It does not use a map file, as lilo does.
Third, the boot sector for extlinux has a different signature
than the lilo boot sector.  And there are probably more reasons
as well.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :