Re: Recent changes in dpkg

Peter Samuelson wrote:
> It's pretty clear that this is social engineering.  The dpkg
> maintainers want to force every package maintainer to _think_ about
> which source format they wish to use.  To ensure that, in the long run,
> you no longer have the choice to simply ignore the format war.

I wonder if anything can be learned from debhelper's history of
compatability levels.

numpkgs compat level	introduced	deprecated
      1 8		Jun 2010
   6625 7		Apr 2008
    675 6		Jan 2008
   5398 5		Nov 2005
   1638 4		Apr 2002	Mar 2009
    156 3		Feb 2001	Nov 2005
     25 2		Jul 2000	Jun 2005
     25 1		Sep 1997	Jun 2005
    557 unknown[1]	Sep 1997	Jun 2005

[1] No debian/compat or DH_COMPAT currently means compat level 1 is used.
    A few hundred of these packages do not use debhelper at all; I don't
    have the exact number handy.

Some points I'd draw from this data and what I remember about how the
numbers used to look:

* About 50% of packages switched to the newest version in just a couple of
  years, without me being too annoying with deprecation messages, or making
  any changes that forced the switch.
* Deprecation warnings seem to do a good job of gradually eroding the
  number of holdouts after the initial switch rush. (The relatively
  large number of packages still using v4 is probably because it was
  the "best" level for a long period (2002-2005), and only started
  deprecation warnings a year ago.)
* After a certian point, one has to take action to get rid of the last
  few packages in the long tail. It would be pretty easy at this point
  for me to get rid of v2 and v3 entirely. But still probably not worth
  the effort, as it would only remove a few dozen lines of code from
  debhelper. The time is better spent getting rid of individual
  deprecated debhelper commands.
* At this point, mandating a version number at the cost of breaking a
  few hundred packages might be worth it, though mostly because it would
  probably cause half of them to update away from v1.
* If I had mandated a version when v2 was introduced, I would have
  caused many long threads on debian-devel, and would probably now have
  to contend with a lump of packages using v2 (or yada) instead of the
  current lump at v1.

--
see shy jo