Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

2010/5/26 Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de>:
> Harald Braumann <harry@unheit.net> wrote on Tue, 25 May 2010:
>>
>> On simple standard system -- one disk, one kernel in /boot, no fancy
>> stuff -- it works quite well.
>
> This is enough to use grub2 for new installing of Debian.
>
>> On other systems it often breaks miserably. Updates leave my system
>> unbootable every other time. One major problem are incompatible
>> versions of the boot loader installed in the MBR and grub.cfg.

not strictly a grub2 issue, but os-prober creates unbootable menu's
when you have dual boot systems with same /boot.

Even during a new installation if the system already have another
GNU/Linux it will create unbootable entries for that. See #580736

Earlier with grub I remember these are correctly configured. Plus
without a single configuration file, it is much more difficult to get
it to work as you like.

Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍