Re: Packaging Gzstream?

Le Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:58:05AM +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 04:00:56PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >
> > A quick apt-file search indicates that at least two other packages (CCed) may
> > be using the gzstream library, k3d and freecad. So it seems that it would
> > make sense to package the gzstream library separately.
>
> It appears to be just a single file less than four pages long.  It does
> nothing but translate zlib's API to C++ iostream API.  While generally
> avoiding duplicated code is a very good idea, it doesn't have to be done
> with any small snippet.  Heck, I've written three zlib wrappers myself (two
> of them had bzip2 support as well), and it never came to me that it's a task
> big enough to be worth a whole library.

Since nobody contradicted Adam, I will go for the simplest way and package the
software with its convenience copy of gzstream. When contacting upstream, I will
nevertheless recommed them the boostiostream library.

Thanks everybody for your answers, and have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team